Power of Analysis
Knowledge is a powerful asset; Knowledge, gained rapidly, is a strategic advantage.
There are literally dozens of applications for the use of phenolic measurements in red winemaking. When you really think about it, most red wine analyses stop at the scale house with pH, Brix and TA measurements. But virtually ALL of the key compounds that make red wines red, or why some red wines are more astringent than others, are due mainly to the concentrations of phenolic compounds. Oddly enough, the vast majority of wineries do not routinely measure the concentrations of these key red wine compounds. With Wine X Ray, winery clients can gain rapid knowledge of key phenolic compounds present in their wines.
What to do with the information?
That is up to you as the client to decide. Some clients use the information to validate cellar protocols or maintain style over time. Other clients wish to increase case volumes without noticeable changes to the wine's size or structure. Others wish to reduce vintage variation or perhaps search for growers who perform to a higher valued AVA. We even have some clients who use Wine X Ray to pre-screen bulk samples prior to purchase. The uses are virtually limitless, but below are some of the most common applications for the phenolics information provided by Wine X Ray.
Wine X Ray provides rapid, precise, and timely measurements of selected families of red wine phenolic compounds to our clients. Some examples of the power of the analysis include:
- Identify Quality Early: Determine highest value fermentors by third or fourth day of fermentation.
- Manage Cellar Procedures: Monitor cellar activities and “see” that your work orders are being followed.
- Maximize Extractions Using Data: Drain and press fermentors based on real-time knowledge of the phenolic concentrations in the wines, and not by a predetermined schedule.
- Maintain or Adjust a Wine's Style or Size: Create wines that meet pre-determined stylistic characteristics or parameters of a wine type including Tannins and Total Phenolic quantities.
- Assess Vineyard Blocks and Provide Meaningful Grower Assessment: Finally a non-subjective tool for assessing wine and grape quality.
- Understand Enzymes: Assess the real impact of enological enzymes, specifically ones that claim to increase extraction of phenolic compounds and stabilize color.
- Compare Vintages Based on Phenolic Concentrations: Obtain early insights into relative ‘size’ of wines from a given vintage and compare to historical data.
- Blend With Confidence: Increase level of confidence when blending wines early to maximize cooperage and reduce cellar and laboratory costs associated with maintenance of multiple lots.
- Bulk Wine Assessment. Measure the ‘size’ of a bulk wine sample to see if it is in line with style targets. Find wines that out-perform their region while reducing costs.
- Bulk Wine Contracts: Match customers phenolic style with your own. Have data to support contract approval and strengthen relationship between bulk wine supplier and client.
- Scale While Maintaining Style: Maintain phenolic style while increasing volume.
- The power of Wine X Ray is multiplied by the client's understanding of our services.